When you are involved in mechanical projects or automotive equipment, having the best impact wrenches on the market makes a lot of difference. Having such tools, not only make the work easier to manage but also easier to perform and less time-consuming.
Using basic tools for such tasks can be very frustrating especially when you know that using a good tool can cut your time down to a fraction of what it is. Thanks to the rapid development of modern technology, heavy duty, and reliable tools are easily available in the market but choosing the best among them could be an issue since there are so many brands and varieties. In this article, we will discuss the different types of impact wrenches and some of the products that you should consider purchasing.
Different Types of Impact Wrenches:
Corded Electric Impact Wrenches
These types of impact wrenches are directly connected to the electric sources via the cord. These are the earliest types of impact wrenches and are quite rare in the market since brands are moving towards cordless impact wrenches. They are commonly found in drive sizes of 0.50 and 0.75 inches. They are usually longer in size to compensate for the electric motor that produces the torque.
The main advantage of corded electric impact wrenches is that they can be used as long as there is a power source. This makes them ideal for situations, which require long work time with little torque.
Cordless Impact Wrenches
Cordless Impact Wrenches are powered by batteries which as typically nickel-cadmium (NiCad) or Lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries. Depending on the model, the batteries range from 18-28 volts. Cordless impact wrenches are the most common in the market and come in a number of models, drive sizes and prices.
The main advantage of this types of impact wrenches is portability. They can use in any situation since they do not need a direct power source. This adds flexibility and convenience to your tasks.
back to menu ↑
Air impact wrenches (Pneumatic impact wrenches)
Pneumatic Impact wrenches or Air Impact wrenches, as the name suggests, are powered by compressed air. These types of wrenches or impact guns require compressed air cylinders as power sources. They are available in a variety of drive sizes ranging from 0.25-1 inch. The larger the driver sizes, the more amount of torque the tool can produce and 1-inch drive tool can produce a torque of 3000 feet/lbs.
The best part about these types of wrenches is that they can use in a situation that has no power source. All that is required to run this tool is compressed air, which is easy to find. They are also smaller than other impact guns and wrenches, which makes them ideal for working in tight places.back to menu ↑
Top Impact Wrenches Brands and Their Products
Now we will discuss some of the brands you should know if you are willing to purchase any such tool.back to menu ↑
Ryobi Impact Wrenches
Ryobi is a Japanese company, which specializes in printing equipment’s, power tools and builders’ hardware. They have a wide variety of impact guns and impact wrenches but the best among them all is the Ryobi P261
- Ryobi P261 is best for heavy-duty applications such as installing lag bolts on woodwork or removing lug nuts from automobiles.
- It has 3 different types of speed selector that are used to adjust anywhere from 0-3200 impacts per minute.
- It comes with a notches rubber grip that makes it ideal for working in slippery conditions.
- It comes with a Ryobi One+ 18V battery system, which makes it compatible and ready to use straight out of the box.
DeWalt Impact Wrenches
DeWalt is an American based company that has made its name from its hand tools for construction work, Manufacturing industry, woodworking industry and power tools. It is regarded as one of the best brands for power tools and its DeWalt dcf899 impact wrench delivers on the promise.
- DeWalt Dcf899 comes with a brushless motor, which is designed for absolute performance, longer run time and long lasting durability.
- It produces a maximum torque of 700ft/lbs with the maximum breakaway torque of 100 ft/lbs. It is Ideal for Heavy-duty work in the most demanding situations.
- It features a 3-speed selector to control torque and drive an LED word light for working in dimly lit areas.
- It is ergonomically designed and lightweight. It is a cordless impact wrench that is battery powered and comes with a multi-voltage charger.
Milwaukee Impact Wrench
Milwaukee Electric Tool Corporation specializes in corded and cordless power tools, handsaws, hand tools, cutters, pliers, knives, screwdrivers, trims, and toolkits. One of the best impact wrench by this brand is the Milwaukee 2763.
- The electric motor in Milwaukee 2763 delivers up to 700 ft/lbs of fastening torque, 1100 ft/lbs nut-busting torque and twice the runtime as compared to other similar tools in the market.
- It comes with 2 fastening modes. Mode 1 has the ability to deliver 100 ft/lbs of maximum fastening torque while mode 2 relieves up to 700 ft/lbs fastening torque.
- It is battery powered which is a Red lithium XC 4.0 Battery Pack and (M18 and M12) multi Voltage charger.
Craftsman impact wrench
Craftsman is a brand which was originally owned by Sears but is now controlled by Stanley Black & Decker. They specialize in making power tools, garden tools, and work wear. One of the best impact wrench by this brand is the Craftsman C3 Heavy Duty, Impact Wrench.back to menu ↑
Craftsman C3 Heavy Duty Impact Wrench
- The robust motor in the Craftsman C3 heavy duty impact wrench gives out a no-load speed of 0-2900 RPM with 0-3200 IPM (Impacts per minute).
- When used with the XCP Li-ion high capacity battery, this tool produces 300 ft/lbs of torque, which makes it ideal to driving thick bolts and breaking tight nuts.
- It features 3 LED lights to give maximum visibility in any environment.
- It has a micro texture grip which makes it comfortable to hold and control.
back to menu ↑
Makita impact wrench
Makita Corporation is a Japanese manufacturer of power tools which operated factories all around the world in countries like Brazil, China, Canada, Germany, Unity States, United Kingdom etc. They are well known for their products. Makita XWT08Z Impact wrench deserves a spot on this list.
Makita XWT08Z Impact Wrench
- Makita XWT08Z Is a cordless impact wrench power by Lithium-ion battery.
- It produces a maximum of 740 ft/lbs of fastening torque with 1180 ft/lbs of breakaway torque.
- It features a brushless motor with is best for long run times and increases speed and power.
- It also features a 3-speed selection switch for precise fastening control.